Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Has Sprung - New Painting!

Spring is my favorite season (not just because I get presents on my birthday), followed by autumn, followed by winter and then a distant fourth is the hot goo season we call "summer."  (Or "complete bullshit" as I like to call it everyday I walk outside of my apartment and realize that the shower I took is now null and void.)

Anyhoo... My latest painting endeavor was inspired by my favorite season:

It's Spring!  Where's my Flonase?

This painting took awhile and I looooooooooooooooooove it.  It's acrylic on a 14"x18" canvas panel.

Here's how this painting happened.... I started out using this painting as a practice canvas for testing out texture using the plastic bag technique you've heard me yammer on about.  I'd slap paint on the canvas and then let it dry with a plastic bag over it.  4 layers and 4 plastic bags later, I had this:


I'll be honest, I didn't know what I was painting.  I was merely playing with paint and texture.  (I REALLY like plastic bags, ya'll...) I emailed this draft  to my friend Jenn who politely said, "I see trees."  So I let that sink in and I put the painting aside for awhile.  Then one day I looked at it and said, "I see the background of Spring."  And with that, the final layer, Spring, was added (but no bags, just paint).

I used varnish sponges for the stems and streaks of light and sea sponges for the flowers.  Here are some close-ups so you can really see the texture and mixture of all the layers of paint:





This painting will be going up for sale once my Etsy shop is established.  Who's gonna be the lucky person who gets to hang this in their home, hmmmm?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails